Most Comfortable, Productive Phase
Business: Ramp-up, Expansion, Direction, Adolescence, TakeOff, and Growth
- play an absolutely fundamental role in the growth of new business units
- institute the quality control, the manufacturing, the delivery, the support, the financial controls, the value proposition, the sales recipe, and the first marketing collaterals
- Many (Authors and) Builders make a career out of entrepreneuring, always starting and launching businesses, never sticking around after a few years, not part of a corporation or larger firm.
- Freelance builders can be found in project management careers.
Project: Execution, Launch
Freelance builders can be found in project management careers.
During ramp-up of a business unit or project
- When innovations become products, early customers partnerships form, markets explode, operations begin, finance and quality and human resource functions begin, first processes are initiated.
- driven by achievement of goal, and once achieved they need something else to build
- once goal is achieved, they need something else to build or they become unhappy
- Builders and Authors are rarely found running franchises or mainstreet businesses.
- Not satisfied in traditional roles in the medical or legal professions, in education, or in the delivery of services.
many want to be Captains
- Builder working in the extend stage will not perform well – Builders fare poorly often appearing unhelpful due to their impatience and insensitivity to the needs of others.
Theme & Focus
- “Make It So!”
- attention to details
- In product development, they are responsible for commercializing – in both product/service
- process the author’s idea
- process development
- Settlers, who take the big ideas and work out the details to make sure that abstractions can become concrete
- Seek challenging accomplishments around unsolved problems
- strong drivers and push organizations hard
strong initiators – success makers as opposed to success followers
- work long hours and hold accomplishing the goal above all else [even above employee relations]
- see tasks through to completion with unwavering focus
- Thrive on getting it done (whatever “it” is)
- Upon completion of task, move on to another assignment where they can repeat building process
- needs to be better grounded with someone else’s idea
- needs to be affiliated with an organization
- fearlessly run lots of experiments looking for the right recipe
- learn rapidly from their mistakes
- highly organized
- excellent problem solvers
- very pragmatic
- prolific communicators
- able to simultaneously work on a phenomenal number of tasks.
- have an achievement need and are passionate about getting things done
- Rarely has original ideas
- If called upon to propose a new idea, may struggle to be spontaneous
- same personality traits that make them successful in the expansion stage also limits its effectiveness later in the evolution
- poor leaders of the large number of effective capitalizers
- builder drives the capitalizer with endless urgent improvements rather than focusing on people management, team motivation, and predictability
- narrow pragmatism – a strength during the building stage – not only inhibits their effectiveness at authoring new ideas
- narrow pragmatism limits their sensitivity to the motivation needs of the large sales, marketing, and manufacturing populations to follow
Seen by others as:
- insensitive to people
- overly type “A”